The Trump administration announced Tuesday that it will begin reducing the number of people on food stamps, which will likely lead to a decline in the number receiving benefits.
In a statement, the Department of Agriculture said that the reductions in the food stamp rolls “will take place over the course of the next three years, and will be phased in over time.”
The reduction will affect all households, including those receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which includes food stamps and other food assistance programs.
SNAP is administered by the Department’s Food and Nutrition Service.
The reductions in SNAP benefits will begin on July 1 and will end on March 31, 2018, according to the statement.
The USDA said the number for the SNAP program will be reduced to about 7.6 million people, a drop of nearly 3 million.
The USDA estimates that about 6.7 million people will be eligible for food stamps in 2019.
The cuts come on top of a recent announcement by the Trump Administration that the federal government will cut its SNAP enrollment by nearly 6 million people over the next two years.
The Department of Health and Human Services has said that nearly 6.3 million people would lose their SNAP benefits starting in 2021.
The reduction would affect approximately 4 million people.
The announcement came on the same day as a New York Times report that found a sharp rise in the numbers of people in the country who have been cut off from food assistance due to an array of health conditions.
The Times found that between April 1, 2018 and April 30, 2018 there were more than 2 million people who had been cut from food stamps due to a range of health issues.